Yard work breaking your back?! Not anymore...
posted: Aug 29, 2018.
The sun is out and it’s that time of year in St Louis to keep your yard looking great, but a well-kept yard shouldn’t be at the expense of your body. Lawn and garden work can cause so many aches and pains if you do it incorrectly, but Dr. Vidan in St. Louis has a few ways to keep you working without back pain for longer.
- This might sound silly, but before beginning any yard work, take a few minutes to warm up your muscles by doing some dynamic warm up exercises. This could include going for a brisk 5 - 10 minute walk OR RUN around the yard, jumping jacks, etc.
- Almost everyone has the task of mowing. When you mow, push forward as you push the lawn mower can strain your back. Make sure to maintain proper posture and push with your arms and legs instead of your back.
- Weeding can cause a lot of back pain. Bending over at the waist for prolonged periods is a sure way to cause your back muscles to start complaining. To prevent this, try kneeling on a rubber gardening mat, sitting on a wheeled gardening stool, or sitting directly on the ground instead. Also, make sure you have all your tools close at hand.
- When lifting bags of dirt or fertilizer, mulch or potted plants, keep your back straight and bend with your knees and hips (not your back) when reaching down. The power for your lift comes from your buttocks and legs. If you are picking up piles of grass, leaves or other yard waste, make the piles small to decrease the weight.
- Most people use the rake or other gardening tools with their dominant hand only. This causes one side of your body to be overused. Try switching sides every few minutes, even though it will feel awkward. Your back, neck and arms will thank you.
St Louis, if you are in still experiencing aches and back pain, please give our office a call and come in for a consultation with the doctor here at Vidan Family Chiropractic in Clayton, Missouri. We’d love to discuss your options to get you back to doing all those things you used to do every day without the added back pain!